A jig was required in order to create the acute angle required where the two spars meet at the center. Ideally, a sled type jig for a table saw would be the way to go, but I don't have a deep enough cut on my table, so the jig was designed to be used with a router.
I decided to modify the jig to make it more stable. I added ears to the platform in order to give a solid base all round. I also added stops on all 4 sides so the routing action becomes a no-brainer. A large base was added to the router. The cutter is a 1/2 x 1 bottom face cutter from Grizzly.com. I am still waiting for the spars to arrive from A.S.S., so I made the two splice plates that sandwich the spars together. The angle turned out accurate.